Environmental Monitoring Technician
Our client is an established environmental consultancy. Due to a period of continued growth, a vacancy currently exists for an Environmental Monitoring Technician in West London to provide support to the management systems team, waste management team and land quality team with respect to monitoring and consultancy. Reporting to the Senior Environmental Consultant and working in close collaboration with a team of consultants and auditors, your main duties will include:
- Undertake monitoring and sampling of various materials on sites within the metal recycling industry across the UK.
- Undertake the monitoring of environmental media including surface water and trade effluent samples, soil or waste residues on sites across the UK.
- Participate in Phase I desk studies and Phase II ground investigations, including supervising sub-contractors.
- Participate in waste testing and waste classification projects and the planning and management of waste research projects and trials.
- Participate in dust monitoring and deployment and collection of dust monitoring equipment where necessary.
- Assist with managing sub-contractors to complete other type of monitoring that is not undertaken in-house.
- Assist in other waste management and land quality projects as required, including liaison with clients and associated project management.
- Writing and issuing reports based on the outcome of monitoring and sampling events.
- Collating and analysing data for trend analysis to produce and issue summary reports relating to the sampling of materials and compliance with relevant legislation to clients.
- Collating and analysing data for trend analysis relating to management systems audits to produce and issue summary reports to clients.
Candidate requirements - essential:
- Must hold a relevant environmental/science-based degree.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability and self-confidence to build strong working relationships internally and externally at all levels.
- Good attention to detail with good report writing and presentation skills.
- Personable with good verbal and written communication skills.
- Good customer focus and discretion and understanding of managing clients’ needs and expectations.
- Flexibility and adaptability to manage a range of different tasks to meet deadlines.
- Flexibility to attend site on short notice and stay away overnight when required.
- Well organised with good time management skills.
- Ability to work as part of team and independently.
- Enthusiastic and willingness to learn.
- Computer literate and familiar with MS Excel and Word.
- Full UK driving licence as the role will require travel to sites around the UK.
Candidate requirements – desirable:
- Previous environmental monitoring experience with either another consultancy or Regulator.
- Good understanding of the waste regulatory and compliance regime.
- Awareness and experience of working with management systems standards, ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001:2015, ISO 45001:2018.
- Knowledge of contaminated land issues.
- Experience of environmental permitting or waste classification.
Full training will be provided where required.