Transfer Station Chemist (Hazardous Waste)
Our client is one of the largest providers of bespoke waste collection, disposal and recycling services in the North West. A vacancy currently exists for a Chemist to assist the Transfer Station Manager in the efficient running of the company’s Waste Transfer Station in Cumbria. You will help to ensure all contractual requirements are adhered to and that great relationships are built with colleagues, customers and other relevant stakeholders.
The role is predominantly working outside in all weathers, handling and bulking materials.
- Receipt, sampling, handling, bulking, segregation and storage of hazardous and non-hazardous solid and liquid wastes within the Waste Transfer Station compound, in accordance with the site Environmental Permitting conditions and current Waste legislation.
- Receipt and inspection/analysis of non-hazardous solid wastes to confirm suitability for landfill disposal.
- Assisting the Transfer Station Manager with deciding on work priorities and planning work schedules.
- Off-site waste classification, packaging and labelling for transport - collection either by the Transfer Station Chemist, or for larger quantities, collections to be arranged with Transport Team/3rd party hauliers.
- Daily and weekly site safety checks are to be carried out and recorded, including daily completion of paperwork relating to waste received or removed from site.
- Maintaining necessary documentation and inspect wastes for conformity and container integrity prior to movement.
- Stock control and inventory of materials.
- Maintain a high level of housekeeping in all areas and ensure housekeeping activities are carried out in an effective and timely manner.
- Supervision of Transfer Station Operatives in the absence of the Transfer Station Manager.
- Liaise and build strong relationships with customers, brokers, third party waste outlets and other relevant bodies (e.g., the Environment Agency).
- Provision of technical support and assistance to other areas of the business as required.
Qualifications and Experience:
- HNC/HND/Degree in Chemistry (or equivalent CIWM qualification).
- Knowledge & understanding of the hazards associated with chemical functional groups.
- Full driving licence.
- Proficient in key Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook etc).
- Previous experience of working within the Hazardous Waste industry.
- Knowledge and understanding of the requirements of working within a time critical hazardous waste environment.
- Plant Qualifications (e.g. Fork Lift Truck).
- IOSHH Working Safely (or equivalent qualification).
- ADR Certification.
This role is suitable for a recent chemistry graduate as full training will be given.