Senior Analytical Chemist
Our client has the UK’s largest facility for the treatment & processing of hazardous waste, operating a diverse & unique range of processes which focus on resource recovery & safe handling of hazardous waste streams. The on-site laboratory provides a key service to all site operations and is pivotal in compliance with standards & permits, efficiency of chemical treatment processes, commercial assessments of treatment costs, and research & development into new processing techniques.
A vacancy currently exists for a Senior Analytical Chemist to take responsibility for the following:
- Setting laboratory procedural standards.
- Operating and maintaining laboratory equipment, including calibrations – GC, IR, XRF, ICP, TOC Analyser.
- Determining the analysis requirements for incoming and outgoing waste streams to assess characterisation data, processing route and treatment costs.
- Developing and following site pre-acceptance, acceptance, sampling and compatibility procedures for the laboratory.
- Applying Environmental & Health and Safety standards in decision making.
- Communicating with site personnel (engineering team, operators, site chemists and site management) on chemical processing issues.
- Developing new and innovative ways to treat wastes which factor in the waste hierarchy, safety and costs.
- Contributing to Risk Assessments and Hazops, focussing on process safety and chemical reactivity.
- Ensuring Risk Assessments, COSHH Assessments, & other H&S systems are kept up to date and are relevant.
- Degree or HNC in Chemistry or Chemistry related subject.
- Working knowledge of the operation of a Waste Treatment Processing Plant.
- Experience working as an Industrial or Production Chemist.
- At least 3 years’ experience of operating laboratory equipment, including maintaining and developing methods for GC, ICP, XRF, IR and TOC analyser.
- Excellent organisation and communication skills.
- Ability to make decisions in pressurised situations.